Thursday, June 19, 2008

Floyd and Nancy spent the morning working on the onion. First is cutting tiles that are 3/4" which is an incredibly boring and tedious task. It is complicated by the fact that the back of the glass has a coating of "mirror" spray and rubs off as you work and comes off the glass if you are not careful. By the time I was done cutting about 500 tiles I was covered in silver mirror spray. I need a radio in the studio with some spirited music or chat when I am cutting.

The next step is using hot glue to adhere the tiles to the onion. You can see Ron hard at work gluing the tiles to the onion. It goes pretty fast. The layout looks like a brick walk way, rather than rows, but working on something round presents it own challenges. When it was my turn to glue I spent most of my time picking up little tiles off the floor. Floyd and I took a turn at doing each of the jobs, tiling is lots more fun than cutting and Floyd managed to cut himself during his stint at the tiling making job.

I am ready to talk about grout and the two fellas are stonewalling me that grout is not a topic for discussion until the tiles are glued and they can make an informed decision. Squint your eyes and you get an idea of what a dark grout would do for the onion. A lighter grout would make it look like it does now, because of the white color of the fiber glass. Any opinions on grout color, I need reinforcements.

No comments: